An Associate on the firm’s Insurance Defense team, Shelby Avery represents insurers and insureds in first-party no-fault and third-party automobile negligence claims.
Fluid in public speaking, whether in court, with opposing counsel, or with clients, Shelby has a great ability to improvise, think on her feet, and formulate compelling arguments. She’s determined to represent her clients to the best of her ability so that their interests are being protected and maintained.
Before coming to Zausmer, Shelby practiced with an insurance defense litigation firm, where she developed and honed her skills defending no-fault insurance carriers against suits throughout the state of Michigan. There, she performed extensive legal research and drafted motions and briefs to trial courts, the Michigan Court of Appeals, and the Michigan Supreme Court. She also gained experience with successful settlement agreements through facilitation, case evaluation, and mediation efforts.
- State of Michigan
Michigan State University College of Law
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2019
- Trustee Scholar
- Jurisprudence Award – Housing Law
- First Place, Appellate Oral Argument Competition and Intraschool Moot Court Competition
- Finalist, Billings, Exum & Frye National Moot Court Competition
- Finalist, Prince Evidence Moot Court Competition
- Teaching Assistant, Research, Writing, and Advocacy
- Student Bar Association
- President, Board of Advocates
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology: Law, Justice, and Social Change; Minor in Music, 2015
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association