James Wright has defended a broad array of insurance claims – first-party no-fault and third-party automobile negligence, premises liability, toxic torts, construction site accidents, defamation, insurance agent errors and omissions, insurance coverage, and even equine liability issues – both at trial and on appeal.
Jim is relentless when it comes to investigating the facts, including creative digital-age discovery practices. In one case, the plaintiff claimed to have sustained a debilitating spinal fracture, yet court-approved review of her Facebook account uncovered photos of her sledding and waterskiing. In another matter where the plaintiff allegedly suffered a head injury after jumping from a moving car, Jim found pictures online showing the man bowling, riding roller coasters with this children, and flashing hundred dollar bills representing disability payments. Jim employs creative thinking to find solutions to problems and to make sure the playing field remains fair.
After receiving his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, Jim earned his law degree from Michigan State University. He now educates clients and colleagues on current trial practice trends such as the use of social media in discovery, and has lectured on trial practice topics to groups such as the Property Loss Research Bureau (PLRB), Liability Insurance Research Bureau (LIRB), Institute for Paralegal Education, National Business Institute, and the Insurance Institute of Michigan.
Outside the office, Jim is a devoted family man and seasoned traveler, and during football season, he shuttles disabled fans to University of Michigan home games.
- Michigan State University College of Law, Juris Doctor, 2004
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- Insurance Institute of Michigan
- “Innocence Lost – The Uncertain Equities of Rescission under Bazzi,” Insurance Alliance of Michigan Seminar, September 2018
- “Use of Surveillance and Social Media in Litigation,” Saginaw Valley Adjuster Association, January 2016
- SIU Resources, New Tools in Fraud Investigations,” Property Loss Research Bureau (PLRB)/ Liability Insurance Research Bureau (LIRB) Regional Adjusters Conference, June 2013
- “Trial Preparation from Start to Finish,” Institute for Paralegal Education, November 2012
- “Updating the Serious Impairment Threshold,” “Successfully Arguing Serious Impairment Motions,” and “Use of Social Media to Defend Against Claims,” (No-Fault and Third-Party Auto), Insurance Institute of Michigan Claims Seminar, September 2012
- Speaker on other insurance and trial practice topics for the Insurance Institute of Michigan, the Institute for Paralegal Education, the Liability Insurance Research Bureau (LIRB), the National Business Institute, and the Property Loss Research Bureau (PLRB)