The International Right of Way Association (IRWA) is a professional organization comprised of real estate practitioners who acquire, manage, and transfer the land rights necessary for building and maintaining public improvements, including energy and transportation infrastructure.
Devin’s presentation – “Positioning Your Project to Succeed at Trial” – offered tips and techniques that condemning agencies and their contractors can employ throughout the life of a project to place them in the best possible position at a just compensation trial. The program was well-received by the audience, covering topics along the project and litigation timeline such as:
- Assembling a team of right-of-way agents, appraisers, surveyors, title companies, and legal counsel
- Crafting an acquisition strategy
- Appraising the property
- Negotiating with landowners
- Understanding state laws and anticipating discovery issues
- Extending good faith offers
- Avoiding necessity challenges
Devin and the other attorneys in Zausmer eminent domain practice group have been involved with some of the most visible and significant projects in Michigan, including the Cobo Hall expansion, Fox Theater District acquisitions, Detroit Metropolitan Airport runway expansions, and numerous proceedings for ITC Holdings, Inc. across the state.