The unfortunate truth is that we live in a community where not everyone has a safe and secure place to call home.
In recent years, more than 97,000 people in Michigan experienced homelessness, including more than 26,000 in Metro Detroit.
In our area, South Oakland Shelter (SOS) is committed to ending homelessness for individuals and families in crisis. For more than 30 years, SOS has offered programs that provide realistic options for homeless and at-risk people, emphasizing homeless prevention, sustainable housing alternatives, and career development. Its goal is to bring stability and self-sufficiency to the people who need them most.
SOS’s many services and amenities include:
- Emergency shelter with unrestricted beds
- Primary health services
- Housing assistance and follow-up care after people secure housing
- Intensive case management and development of individualized service plans
- An on-site computer lab and library people can use to find jobs, housing, and benefits and pursue educational objectives.
- On-site clothing closet, showers, laundry, and food pantry
Zausmer went “Casual for a Cause” on November 23rd to support South Oakland Shelter and the important work it does to help the homeless in our area.
To learn more about SOS and ways for you to volunteer or donate items and funds, please visit the organization’s website.